1. Preheat the oven to 375° F / 190° C.
2. Whisk the olive oil and egg together
3. Whisk in the vanilla or rum. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, ginger, baking powder, salt, and oats. Stir in the raisins.
5. Peel and core the apple. grate 1 1/2 to 2 cups of shredded tart apple.
6. Stir in the apple and the chopped Gouda to the flour mixture.
7. Add the liquids to the flour mixture and stir just until everything is moistened.
8. The dough will be loose and clumpy. Drop in large spoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet.
9. Bake for 13 minutes, or until the cookies are golden. They will be very soft still.
10. Let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to cooling racks to cool completely.