Leyden - with Cumin Seeds
Made with pasteurized cow’s milk, Leyden has a firm composition. The addition of cumin seeds (responsible for its tangy flavor and spicy aroma) distinguish it from other Dutch cheeses.
Ingredients: Pasteurized cow’s milk, salt, cheese cultures, vegetarian rennet, cumin seeds, annatto color.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1oz (28g) Servings: Varied, Amount/Serving: Calories 100, Fat Cal. 60, Total Fat 7g (11% DV), Sat Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g (0% DV) Cholesterol 20mg (8% DV), Sodium 250mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 0g (0% DV), Fiber 0g (0% DV), Sugars 0g, Protein 11g, Vit A 3%, Vit C 0%, Calcium 25%, Iron 0%.
*Percent of daily values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Tri Colored Nachos with Leyden
1. Preheat oven to 375° F or 190° C.
2. On an oven proof plate, layer chips in a decorative pattern.
3. Top chips with vegetables and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Then top with grated cheese and put into the oven.
4. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is evenly melted.
5. Remove from oven, garnish with avocado and serve with fresh tomato salsa.
Appetizer or Main Course
With its flavorful cumin seeds, this cheese makes a memorable lunch or appetizer platter. Serve slices of Leyden with cold-cuts, spicy-sweet honey mustard and a good dark bread such as rye or pumpernickel. These can be served warm or cold and topped with slices of ripe tomato and parsley or fresh arugula.
Serve with Rieslings or try it with Paul Thomas Dry Bartlett Pear Wine from Yakima, Washington. It’s also great with German or Belgian beer.
Tell us what you think