4 tbsp butter (olive oil optional), 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped), 2 carrots (scraped diced), 2 potatoes (diced), cauliflower (trimmed cut into florets), 5 - 6 stalks of celery (diced), 6 cup stock, 4 slice bacon (lean) - optional, 4 slice bread, 4 oz Boorenkaas (grated).
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add vegetables.
- Sauté until onion is golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Pour in the stock. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Partially cover pan, and lower heat.
Simmer until vegetables are tender crisp (20 minutes or until veggies are soft).
- In a heavy skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp around the edges, and most of the fat has cooked off.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Fry the bread in the bacon grease so that it is crisp and brown on both sides.
Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Preheat-broiler to its highest setting.
- Crumble the bacon on top of the soup.
- Top each bowl with a piece of the fried bread.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top, covering bread and surface of soup completely.
- Slide dutch oven into broiler so top is about 3 inches from heat source and broil until cheese melts and turns a light golden brown (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from the oven
- Serve with young Boorenkaas and fresh bread.