1. Pour beans into colander and rinse with cold water until bubbles are gone.
2. Mash 2/3 of the beans, cut the carrot into thin slices.
3. Saute the carrots in the soup pot with olive oil.
4. Add the chopped onion and chopped celery.
5. When the vegetables are soft, remove the pan from the heat.
6. Add the bullion cube, let it dissolve (or smash it with a wooden spoon).
7. Add several cups of broth or water to taste.
8. Add all the black beans & the Sherry.
9. Simmer for about 5 min. to meld the flavors.
10. Set out individual soup bowls.
11. Place shredded cheese in the bottom of the bowl.
12. Ladle hot soup into the bowls.
13. Garnish with cilantro or chopped green onion and serve.