1. First things first: remove the stalks from the eggplant, slice them into 1inch thick slices set aside on broiling rack.
2. Heat your oven broiler.
3. Broil the aubergine(eggplant) on both sides until slightly charred - you may have to cook them in batches as they probably won't all fit in the broiler pan at once. As each batch is finished, remove them to a tray and carry on grilling the rest until they're all nicely done.
4. While the eggplant is broiling; heat the sauce over low heat and set aside.
5. Get yourself an earthenware type dish, or a medium sized cast iron skillet. Put a small layer of tomato sauce, then a thin layer of Balarina, followed by a single layer of aubergines (eggplant). Repeat these layers until you've used all the ingredients up. It's nice to toss the breadcrumbs with a little freshly topped oregano and sprinkle them on top of the Balarina.
6. Place the dish in the oven and bake at 375° F or 190° C. for 30 mins. until golden brown, crisp and bubbly. It's best eaten straight away, but it can also be served cold. You can use the same method substituting courgettes or fennel for the aubergines - both are delicious. But do try making it with aubergines - you'll love it!